Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Contestant Profile - Kevin

Learn more about the contestants of the Mr. LiVelocity Competition.



Name: Kevin Williams

Birth City, State: Waukegan, IL

What are your hobbies or talents? Some of my hobbies/talents include singing, songwriting, weight lifting, reading and expressing myself in writing.

Did you go to college? If so, what is your degree in? I graduated from Columbia University in 2005 with a degree in Sociology.


What kind of music do you like? I'm a singer so I enjoy many types but my favorites include Soul, R&B, Gospel, Alt Rock, some Country & some Pop.


What most annoys you? I'm most annoyed by close-minded people. Nobody knows everything and we all have the opportunity to better understand others if we're willing to hear the other side and find out where they're coming from. I'm drawn to people who are open to learning and attempting new things they've never done before. Closed minds don't get fed.


What is your source of motivation? God is my source of motivation and I know He blessed me with many gifts that I can use for good. Because of Him, I know my purpose on this earth is to be a light and to inspire.


Who do you most admire and why? I most admire my mother because she is a strong woman and she never underestimated the things I could do. She always encouraged me to do the things that make me happy. She saw more in me than I was able to see in myself at times. I learned to be sensitive to others because she always shows compassion and helps others whenever she can. She's been a mother and father to me since my own father was never able to show love to me even though we lived in the same house. Of all my family members, my mother understands me best.


If you were to win ten million dollars in the lottery, what would you do with the money? First, I would say goodbye to the $50,000 in college loans that I'm paying off! I would make sure my mother is set up so that she doesn't have to work another day in her life. I would help out immediate family members so that they wouldn't have to struggle anymore. I would plan a family trip for my immediate family so that we'd have a chance to reconnect. I would help out close friends who are also pursuing their dreams. I would buy myself a home to call my own. Finally, I would donate funds to organizations such as Livelocity which are seeking to bring about change in our community.


What is your hope for the gay community of color? My hope for the gay community of color is that we realize that we're much stronger united than divided and we're far stronger than we tend to give ourselves credit for. We're not weak. The world couldn't run without us and it's better because of us. I want us to learn to love and support one another more. We have enough enemies against us in the world at large; we don't need to help them by fighting amongst ourselves.


Do you have any questions for Kevin? Ask the questions in the comments section and Kevin will answer some of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment